ENTERING THE "SAFETY ZONE"
This is PasadenaMatt, the Public Safety monitor for the Forecast Team. We have researching this new page for some time, and I am pleased to present it as we head toward the end of winter and upcoming weather events.
All Hazards Approach
6:45 PM Saturday 6.19.2010 Hello Everyone. Since it is Hurricane Season, I thought I would update this section so everyone can prepare for a safe Hurricane Season. Hurricanes bring dangerous winds, rain, flooding, tornados, and storm surge. The best approach is an all hazards approach. Being prepared for all types of weather and emergencies is very important. People think that even a Tropical Storm or weak Hurricane is not a big deal but these small weaker storms can still pack the punch.
During this quiet time of hurricane tracking, it is best to prepare for your families for these storms. Get a kit, Make a plan, and stay informed.
Get a Kit
Making a kit can be easy and not expensive. You can buy the supplies when they are on sale or you can go to the Dollar Store and find cheaper supplies.
What Every Kit Should Have In It:
- Clean Water-Atleast 1 gallon per person for atleast 3 days (The More the Better)
- Non-Perishable Food-Powdered Milk, Peanut Butter, Crackers, Powdered Potato Mix, etc. (Atleast 3 Days but more the better).
- Radio-The Best are Battery Powdered, Hand-Cranked, or even solar powdered.
- First Aid Kit
- Extra Perscription and Non-Perscription Medicine
- Flash Lights
- Fire Extinguishers
- Smoke Detectors
- Sleeping Bags (If you have to evacuate to a shelter)
- Local Maps (If you have to evacuate to a shelter)
- List of Important Phones
- Land-line Phone (Really Good For Power Outages)
Make a Plan
Make a plan determining what you will do for all hazards. During most emergencies, everyone isnt always in the same place at the right time. Have a list of important numbers and numbers for extended family members. Have a plan for where you will meet during emergencies.
Be informed is very important. Knowledge for all hazards is the best aproach. Being prepared for hurricane season is important but you should also be informed for all hazards all year long.
Some Important Links for More Information: