Tropical Team Thursday
6:00 AM 8/2 - Things are really starting to heat up again across the country, and even across the Atlantic. You think we're talking about the weather? Not exactly, for it is Team Thursday and today is our chance once a week to share with our readers the cool things going on all across the Foot's Forecast team. We hope these pearls of good news are an inspiration to you, and show the power of collaboration when students are given the opportunity to follow their passion and lead the way forward.
|Image from the NHC|
1. Tropics getting Troubling – The Atlantic has been pretty quiet for a while now giving the Tropical Team a break since Tropical Storm Debby dissipated over a month ago on June 27th! But now with the calendar change to August, the tropics are starting to heat up once again. Tropical Depression Five has winds of 35 mph and is located east of the Lesser Antilles. It is currently moving W at 21 mph. This storm has the possibility to strengthen through the next few days, so make sure to stay tuned to the Tropical Zone!
2. New Regional Directors
- The U.S. Leadership Team is pleased to announce that Forecaster Greg "Winterman" Jackson, formerly PA Team Leader, effective August 1 has been promoted to Director of the Mid-Atlantic region.
- Forecaster Mark Ingalls, Western U.S. Outreach and International Coordinator, has been promoted to Regional Director for the Pacific Northwest, and Coordinator of our newly developing International Team.
3. New Zones:
- On Friday we will be publicly releasing our first ever locally operated international zone. We have confirmed a new local forecaster from Belfast in Northern Ireland, Forecaster Aaron T. He currently operates a page for that region, titled "Northern IrelandWeather Forecast." Thanks to the hard work and outreach efforts over the past year, our International Coordinator Mark Ingalls found Forecaster Aaron and he is formally joining our team to spearhead a local zone effort in the British Isles.
- Southern Maryland, launched by Maryland Team Leader Nikki Byers and Forecaster Jason Mitchell, this zone will provide local forecasts for the 3-county area of Southern Maryland including St. Mary's, Charles and Calvert Counties.
- This isn't all of the announcements we have either. Make sure you check back on Friday to find out where Foot's Forecast is heading next!